Friday 3 July 2009

Super gift

Thought I would have a change from having a moan at Walsall Council, although the signs on the Broadway are still not working.
I recently celebrated a birthday and one of my gifts was a book called the 'Lost Railways of Birmingham and the West Midlands' which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading. I particularly liked the chapter that covers Snow Hill to Wolverhampton (Low Level) as I used to live fairly close to this line and spend many happy hours train spotting from a large rock that stuck out of the embankment.
On one occassion we saw what must have been the pride of our collection when King George V came past us and the other classic was the blue pullman train. Of course we were spotting in the latter days of steam but there were also diesel multiple units running this line which we always called yam yams as they sounded their hooters when entering the tunnel at Hill Top and this was what the hooters sounded like to us kids.
The other thing we used to do a lot was go in the tunnel and hope we could get from one end to the other without a train coming - nowadays we would have to dodge the trams and we would be able to see what we were doing because there are lights in this tunnel.
Great Days when the pace of life seemed to amble along rather than the headlong rush into oblivion that seems to happen these days.
Hope anyone reading enjoys this little bit of nostalgia - I know I did!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you may be interested in this website which has excellent information about the lost rail system around the region:

    http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/index.php

    Best wishes

    Bob

    ReplyDelete